Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"I swear Tyler wears makeup."

Okay, look, I cannot lie: the most important thing about tonight's game is that there will be two teams wearing the Nike compression jersey uniforms on the court tonight.

Well, that, and, you know, a basketball game. But mostly compression jerseys.

Here's your live blog, if you want to talk about what's going on in the game. I promise to be slightly less completely off-my-face than I was Saturday night, plus probably fewer jokes about Mormons. But you never know. Especially about Mormon jokes.

Also worth mentioning before tip-off: I keep meaning to start a weekly point guard report, on all the top PGs in the country, except that after the departure of last year's NBA PG draft class, I don't know who any of them ARE, except for Carolina's three and Drew Neitzel, who I unkindly refer to as the neo-nazi, and Ish Smith at Wake Forest, who looked better when he added six inches to his height with his 'fro. So hopefully that will happen soon, but I'd have to do a lot of reading about it first, and we're driving to Charlotte to see the Duke/Davidson game over the weekend, and I'm not sure when I'll have time.

Carolina has three point guards. There. That's your point guard report for the week.

20:00, first half: And we lose the tip, but force a turnover. Gotta force turnovers to run. Good boys.

Last year Bobby Frasor lost his starting spot to Ty Lawson at the Ohio State game. Tonight he got it back.

19:10, first half: I try not to complain about officiating, especially this early, but Tyler gets eaten up and they call the foul on Deon? Bullshit. AND a foul on Ellington. Um. I'm not real pleased by this, I can't lie.

18:43, first half: Three fouls in a minute forty five? WHAT.

Also: Official Tie Watch #6: that is so ugly I think I'm blind, Roy. Wanda let you leave the house like that?

15:59, first half: That's good defense, Bobby. I still wish we defended the three pointer better, but honestly, after complaining about Carolina's three-point defense for almost -- no, actually ten years, since Arizona blew us out of the Final Four in '97, I don't know how you could defend the three pointer better. It's not good, but how does it get better? If The Roy can't make it happen, I sure as hell can't make it happen just by complaining about it.

15:07, first half: What the hell was that alley-oop shit, Bobby Frasor?

13:35, first half: Beautiful backdoor pass by Danny Green to Tyler, finally.

13:07, first half: DEFEND THE THREE POINTER, DAMN IT, OR I WILL BE FORCED TO HAVE A RAGE BLACKOUT.

12:59, first half: Hey, we brought the real QT instead of the pod QT. Awesome. And by awesome, I mean not at all.

8:16, first half: At this time out, I feel it is an appropriate time to tell you that I did, in fact, cry at Jimmy V's ESPY speech, and at his family and friends talking about him. I always will. It's been 14 years. I still cry. It's been five months since Skip Prosser passed away. I'll still cry in ten years, I'm sure.

7:51, first half: Seriously, Bobby, what was that?

shep.: Uh-oh. [The Roy's] glasses are off.

6:25, first half: We can't buy a gosh-darned shot, can we? (I'm trying to keep my language Roy-rated. I'm going to say "friggin'" a lot.)

5:31, first half: DICK VITALE HAS STOLEN OUR NICKNAME FOR WAYNE ELLINGTON, WHAT IS THAT. I started calling Wayne "The Duke" before the season even started last year! I demand royalties.

2:43, first half: "Well, if you don't pass it to [Tyler Hansbrough], he'll go get it himself." He's only 3-11 tonight, which is just -- I have no idea what to do with that. Baffling to me.

Halftime: Tyler's 4-13, and John Diebler can't miss. I have to go ... make another drink.

17:57, second half: God, we just look like we've forgotten how to play basketball entirely.

17:31, second half: Every time I see a guard go down, I think of Derrick Phelps going down in the ACC tournament finals in 1993, and I cringe. Wayne's a little banged up, but I think he's okay.

17:10, second half: Beautiful pass, Bobby. More like that.

Also: back injuries are scary. Scary, scary, scary.

16:44, second half: Ty's out. Wayne's out. Danny, step the heck up.

15:50, second half: It would not surprise me if we were the worst three-point shooting team in the country. Frig.

14:07, second half: Here are some things I am thinking about while trying to be zen about this game:
  • Why shep.'s cat is attempting to climb her door frame.
  • How odd it already looks to see last year's clips of Wayne Ellington wearing #2 instead of #22.
  • Wine.
  • Our three-point defense.
  • Derrick Phelps, one of the greatest defensive point guards Carolina's ever had.
  • My iTunes library.
  • Wine.
  • Wine.
12:47, second half: Bobby Frasor needs a three pointer in the worst way. shep.'s cat needs to stop trying to climb the door.

11:51, second half: The Roy Glasses On/Off Watch: OFF! I REPEAT, THE GLASSES ARE OFF! (The suit coat is still on.)

11:13, second half: ... I think Deon Thompson just passed to himself.

8:17, second half: The Duke may not have scored much tonight -- and Tyler hasn't either -- but they're both having defensive games of their lives, which counts for something. Tyler's shut Costas Koufas down.

6:28, second half: I am so writing Dick Vitale a letter demanding royalties for the nickname "The Duke". Seriously. I have been using that since Roy signed Wayne Ellington. Dick Vitale, you owe me! You owe me a lot! Enough that we don't have to have real jobs! We'd post more, then.

5:19, second half: Ten minutes without a field goal for tOSU. And we play bad defense?

4:30, second half: I take that statement about our defense back. I TAKE IT SO BACK.

3:18, second half: The Duke: bad ass new god. HECK YES.

1:55, second half: I would also like to note: I said earlier that Wayne Ellington has not had a good offensive game; this was a lie. I apologize for that. Wayne Ellington, you are amazing. Thank you.

Tyler just looks lost, though. I don't know about that. He's missed free throws, he never misses free throws.

Final: Carolina 66, tOSU 55. 6-0. That was ugly. But you know what? We'd have lost that last year. For the record.

3 comments:

t. said...

Seriously, listening to Dickie V. say "Duke Ellington" hurts me.

dex. said...

It's really cognitively dissonant, isn't it? That's my nickname! I made that up! I have proof!

t. said...

All we need now is for him to start calling Danny Green "Money" and I would think he was stalking you. Damn you, Dick Vitale!