Sunday, September 23, 2007

"is favre at least pretty when he's kicking the chargers' asses?" "for an old dude!"

I forgot to mention it yesterday -- must've been the booze blur that was my afternoon post-TJ Yates' tumbling performance -- but Duke also lost their game yesterday! Against Navy! I'll be sitting here praising allah, thank you very much, because if I had to sit through three hours' of UNC tanking, I'd better receive a Duke loss too.

Apparently Navy even had to bust a little ass to hold the Blue Devils off, because Duke was kicking ass and taking a few names by the half. Twenty-four hours later and I still find it hard to believe I'm living in a world where any team has to actually put their back into beating Duke's football team; maybe it's the amateur fan in me, or probably the Tar Heels fan, but man, I thought all the Midshipmen would have to do is show up!

Mmmmm, the Midshipmen. Mmmmm, military athletes. Mmmmm, Philip Rivers and LaDainian Tomlinson spatting on the sidelines of the San Diego/Green Bay game ... what?

Our friend a., one of a handful of Duke alumni allowed in our apartment, is taking us to see the Virginia Tech at Duke football game in a few weeks. I'm pretty excited; I've never been to the Duke campus before. Much like Mark Wahlberg in "The Shooter", I'm going to scout out camera locations, crowd movement patterns and sniper spots. Unlike Mark Wahlberg, I'll probably be drunk by 100pm, so if I do find any potentially awesome sniper spots, I'll end up talking about them, and possibly getting arrested. Think they'll let me update the blog from jail?

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Hey Shep. Yes - Navy really did need to show up. Sometimes they really inspire you, but then you have to remember that Navy doesn't can't recruit for sports in the same way that any other school can - "Come play for us, FOR FREE (but everyone else gets in here for free as well, plus, you owe us at least 4 years of service after you graduate).

but yeah. I <3 me some games at the NMC Memorial Stadium Middy-goodness. :)

Unknown said...

Even after last week, I expected Navy to walk all over Duke. So I was happy that it was a close game. It did, however, hurt when they lost on the last second field goal.

This is the pain of being a Dukie during the off-season - I mean the football season.

You've never been to the Duke campus before? Weird. Glad I can fix that.